Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Wizardry - A thread explaining what is going on...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JackCosens, Jan 13, 2018.

?

Does this change your mind?

1. Yes, lets move to 1.10.2

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. No, lets keep it on 1.7.10

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. JackCosens

Owner Retired Administrator

Hello,

As many of you that look on our discord have seen we have been posting a large amount of polls attempting to collect data on what the community wants to see us do with Advanced Wizardry. For people to fully understand this I need to give a basic summery of what we use and how everything works.

Our modded servers run on a program called Thermos. This is a forked version of a very popular minecraft version called Cauldron. This basically allows us to run Mods and Plugins on a server at the same time, allowing us to add auto-announcements, chat formatting and grief prevention based plugins in essentially allowing the server to be public. The last known version of thermos was on 19 Aug 2016, after that it was deemed as a wasteful project and was abandoned by its developers, shortly after the developers over at KCauldron did the same. This screwed over a lot of servers but there IS valid reasoning behind it.

The easiest way to explain it is that Thermos and Cauldron was just built in a way that essentially meant you were putting plasters on top of a bloody bandage. It is unstable, laggy and most of all no longer supported by any mod or plugin developers.

As similarly stated by Katrix (A sponge plugin developer):
    It is a difficult change to happen. It requires us to remake a lot of our custom plugins and back-end plugins but in the long run it will allow us to run the servers, with a lot more updated and supported mods, more smoothly giving a generally better experience for staff and devs trying to maintain it as well as players themselves.

Obviously with any big change there will be drawbacks and eventually we are going to have to move over to this new version regardless. Thermos and Cauldron is dead and it is unlikely to be continued by any other developers because of its incapability of being able to work. We have been looking through and a few of the main mods have not been ported and some mods have been put messages up saying that they will not allow others to port their mods over either which is just strange and upsetting.

Myself and the AJGaming team can always crank out another update, remove, fiddle and add some mods or we can take our time to upgrade our system and allow ourselves to have fun and experiment with the new ability's sponge gives us. I know this will sacrifice some of our most loved mods:
    - Witchery
    - Carpenters Blocks
    But in the future I am sure that there will be an alternative if not an even better mod released that has an active and passionate developer and someone that will allow us make the AJGaming Advanced-Wizardry server more stable and fun to play on!

So have I changed your mind yet? Let us know in the poll at the top of the page.

Cheers,
    Jack.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  2. daforsyth

Retired Staff

meh I personally dislike 1.10 due to mod selection. Thaumcraft reverts to the old crappy node mechanic and Ars magica is picked up by a new mod author and becomes unstable. :/ Not to mention most thaum addons dont really exist because its a newer version and they re-worked the entire system like they normally do. Ummmm plus side vanilla adds polar bears?

3. CameronArcher66

Is there a list of mods (anywhere) that aren’t in 1.10? I’m curious what we would be losing with a newer version- although I do want to switch to one. Also, does this update mean anything for the new server poll you put out a while back? As in is it possible for it for it to be a 1.10

4. JackCosens

Owner Retired Administrator

5. ElectroChip123

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Thaumcraft 5 (for MC 1.8.9)?
    Aznor just announced the Beta for Thaumcraft 6 (for MC 1.10.2), and even if the nodal mechanics where reverted, I kinda liked the Aura system.

6. daforsyth

Retired Staff

Idk what thaum it called but it's the most recent. And I strongly dislike that old node mechanic personally.