Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem With Deleting Features

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by DevilStuff, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zLynn

Background
    Quite a bit of servers, MegaCraft included, fall victim to a trap I refer to as Deletion VS Modification. In order to understand what I mean, let me give you an example. /i was a very helpful command used to get blocks such as a six-sided log, a mushroom block, and other items in your inventory with relative ease that you can't in any other way. However, if you type /i 361:1 (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), you get a crash item. There are two main ways to remedy this problem: Deletion, and Modification.

Deletion
    MegaCraft could just remove the /i command (which is what they ended up doing). This does solve the problem, but there is it removes such a useful command that players loved using.

Modification
    What MegaCraft could have done is to limit the /i command to Novice+ (Not recommended), Builder+, or Designer+ or some other rank. This way, not only would the crash item problem be solved instantly, but also the MegaCraft community would still have the /i command to help them build.

Uses
    Now, a lot of problems MegaCraft has encountered can actually be solved with this simple switch from Deletion to Modification. Here are some examples of problems that could be solved this way:
    • //set sand or gravel
    • /v 35 and then /vi 14
    • //set carpet
    • the fact that dispensers no longer work which is an issue a certain staff (won't name names, but I have proof) promised me they would fix
    So, yeah. Any thoughts?

2. ItzAntony

Retired Administrator

It is removed temp until we can find a fix.
    The player who first did this was MEGA and Architect. Restricting it to a group is still not a good idea. Anything that crashes users should not be reinstated to any rank until the issue is resolved.
    They no longer work because of people abusing how dispensers work. We don't remove these things for the fun of it. Users used them to crash the server and also by spamming fireballs in them or spamming potions etc.

3. zLynn

I understand Antony. However...

I spent 2 minutes trying to fix this and I came up with a solution. Gonna test if my new code works soon tho lol.

Hm. I never knew that. Couldn't we just remove the few items that do crash people tho by overriding the command function?

I know they were used this way. However, the staff member (not you lol) who promised me this would be fixed is A) still staff and B) very highly ranked. I'll concede that it may not be a good idea to re-implement dispensers in their current state due to your second point about how the first player who attempted to crash the server was highly ranked.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  4. ItzAntony

Retired Administrator

Spend 2 minutes trying to get Blue to fix it or add your code :)
    That is what I wanted to do, but. To that that I need Blue to see if he can make it so any IDs that are not actually IDs can't be used.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.