Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A MegaCraft Legacy

Discussion in 'AJGaming News' started by BlueFusion12, Sep 18, 2017.

1. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

Hello MegaCraftians,

Today marks the end of an era
    . I will be stepping away from MegaCraft as the primary owner and transferring leadership to a good friend of mine, RoboJackPlays. If you are interested in learning more about how I came to this decision feel free to read my explanation below, but I want to first address what will be happening to the server and how we will be ensuring this transition is as easy and seamless as possible.

As of October 1st, RoboJackPlays and ItzAntony will take full control of MegaCraft and will be combining it with their own server network: AJGaming. Do not fear though, very little will be changing at first. In fact, you will probably not notice a ton during the first month. Firstly, you will not lose any of your builds or ranks, as they will all be transferred over. Furthermore, you will still be able to connect to the server via play.mc-mega.com/org and c.mc-mega.com/org.

Here are some things to expect with this transfer:
    • The MegaCraft staff team will be combined with the existing AJGaming staff team.
    • Creative will be updated to 1.12 and will be cleaned up significantly by Jack and Antony.
    • New features will again be coming out regularly as well as new updates to the ranking system, RP system, and much more.
    • Builds will be able to be transferred to a new Creative world that will become fully active within a few months.
    • Potentially new servers will be released, including SkyBlock.
    • The server will receive a lot of love from its new owners, as they are very passionate about both Minecraft and the MegaCraft community.
    As of now, the forums will persist. AJGaming will move their content over to the MegaCraft forums, but your accounts and post history will remain.

Overall, this will be an amazing change for the MegaCraft community. For various reasons I am not longer able to fulfill my full duties as owner of MegaCraft and it is time for me to step down and be replaced with someone who can love and nourish the server back to its former glory.

If you have any questions please contact @RoboJackPlays or @ItzAntony. They can answer any concerns you may have about the transfer.

And now for a long read. Since I’ve been running MegaCraft for over 5 years and it’s a huge part of my personal history, I have a lot to say. If you are interested in the reasons why I haven’t been on much in the past months and why I chose Jack to be my successor, keep reading...

A “Brief” History of MegaCraft:
    In May of 2012, the idea of MegaCraft was born. Kuller85 and I played on another server called Pulsecraft, which at the time was beginning to die. Not wanting to see that style of server disappear, we sought to recreate it bigger and better. Throughout June we assembled plugins and enlisted friends to assist in the beta testing phase. Then on July 8th, 2012, MegaCraft was released to the public. At first, we managed to grab a bunch of players but it slowly faded to only about 3-10 online at any given time. Over the next year, we slowly crawled our way upwards, gaining new features and building a community. At this time we had a survival world and one of the first Creative plot worlds in all of Minecraft.

During this time was my favorite time ever in Minecraft. Minecraft had not achieved the massive worldwide adoption it sees today and thus was far more community-based. The community we had on the original Survival server was one of the best I had ever seen and many of those players still drop by occasionally and say hey. Anyways, it was the glory days of MegaCraft. Minecraft had not become uber-commercial and the largest servers in existence only had about 100-200 players on at a time, so it was easier to find and keep new players. Everyone enjoyed small server communities because there were no massive minigames networks.

Fast forward to September of 2013 and we see the birth of the modern MegaCreative server. Sparked by an idea to give all players access to the WorldEdit engine, we completely remade the Creative world into a separate server linked together by BungeeCord. At the time we were one of the first servers ever to allow players to use WorldEdit. It was an entirely new experience and therefore Creative exploded. However, we had a master plan to completely redesign the Survival server into what we thought would be the best survival server ever. It would be the thing that put MegaCraft on the list among the largest Minecraft servers of the day. This was MegaCraft 2.0.

After over six months of development, MegaCraft 2.0 launched on February 15th, 2014. The hype was unreal. We had been promising for months a revival of the dying Survival server and this was it. The server flopped, hardcore. A month after release only 5-10 people were playing on the 2.0 server. Instead, MegaCreative was growing and growing. By the summer of 2014 we had hit 100 players for the first time, almost all of those were on Creative.

Throughout the next few years we tried new things: Factions, SkyBlock, Minigames, Prison, and a few others. Nothing managed to gain the popularity and traction of MegaCreative. Thus MegaCraft slowly grew more and more into a Creative-only server and less of a server network that I had originally envisioned.

Fast forward to today. MegaCraft still exists. We celebrated our 5th anniversary this summer and still have a decent active playerbase. However, things have changed…

In 2012, I was a high school student in love with Minecraft. Running a server had been a dream of mine for a long time. To set the context, for much of the previous year the way I played Minecraft was via a local Bukkit server that only I had access to. I messed with plugins, I built spawns and games. This was back in the Minecraft Beta and it was amazing. The first few months of MegaCraft may have been some of the best months of my life. Having the opportunity to nurse a small server from almost nothing to a server with a fully active and engaged community was an absolutely unreal experience. MegaCraft became a huge part of my life. I had found a passion that allowed me to sit at a computer for hours on end engaging with a community and building an awesome experience for everyone.

Now in 2017, I have lost almost all motivation to work on MegaCraft. Following the flopping of 2.0 and the conversion of MegaCraft to a mostly Creative server, the server just isn’t the same for me anymore. Furthermore, the Minecraft community as a whole has changed drastically from the original days of MegaCraft. Gone are the small hobbyist servers, having been replaced by a plethora of profit-driven commercial servers. If you've talked to me about this at all before you know I never sought to make MegaCraft my job. It was and always has been something I do for fun and for the community. However, now that my passion to build Mega for fun has died away that same hobbyist drive just no longer exists.The passion I had back in the original MegaCraft has found a new home in school and other projects. Especially now that I am a Junior in college, I have very little time on my hands. Between school, activities within my church, work, social activities, and other projects I have very little time left to dedicate to MegaCraft and ensuring it is the best server possible.

Thus, this summer I contemplated shutting Mega down. It seemed like the right thing to do. I could no longer maintain it and I felt bad leading people on as if I would come back and make everything great again. But then a friend of mine made me consider the community I had built. MegaCraft has touched the lives of almost 300,000 unique people over its five-year lifespan. How could I throw that all away? Would the connections and friendships built on the server just disappear? When old 1.0 players try to return and see how things are, what would they find? Nothing. I realized shutting down wasn’t an option.

Luckily a friend of mine had begun running a successful server just a few months ago. You may remember RoboJackPlays from the older days of MegaCraft, but since he left the community and began working on AJGaming he has grown to be someone I work with all the time and trust greatly. I watched as he built an awesome community around modded Minecraft, emulating what 2012 MegaCraft had done. It was awe inspiring. I knew he would be an excellent choice to take MegaCraft and breathe new life into it.

Before I finish, I just want to give a huge thank you to everyone who was involved with the MegaCraft project up to today. Not only have you dedicated your time to make MegaCraft what it is today, but you have also had such a profound impact on my life. MegaCraft as a whole has shaped a lot of who I am today and that would not be possible if it were not for each player who joined, each staff member who dedicated time to Mega, and each friendship that I have built with tons of members of the community. MegaCraft is very dear to my heart and it kills me to see it struggling as it is today. I want the best for Mega and for its community and that is what it will receive under Jack and Antony’s leadership.

So this is it. Probably my last forum announcement… It’s been real my dudes. I’ll definitely still stick around and help Jack and Antony with the server, but it is time for me to move on. I’ll see you all around!

This has been BlueFusion12. Enjoy the future of MegaCraft!

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Givenchy

Retired Staff

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SebastiaanYN

SebastiaanYN Guest

It has been a pleasure

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. JackCosens

Owner Retired Administrator

It's been a great journey! Thanks Blue :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Senpai_Artic

Retired Staff

Been a great journey you have done so so so so much for the community and the server. I think I speak for everyone here when I say this: Thank you for everything :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Ommo

Retired Staff

If you think about it - everyone here, every successful Artisan build you've seen, probably wouldn't have been here in the first place without you!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ItzAntony

Retired Administrator

It's been a pleasure mate.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. dragenor

Retired Staff

Love ya mate, all the best for the future.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Divine_Sophie

Antony is a wonderful staff member who definitely deserves to become the owner. Thanks for everything, hopefully Megacraft will flourish once more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. NotMyFault

NotMyFault The Sanctuary
    Retired Administrator

That's a good decision.

~Fault

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. 5730dogman

Retired Staff

Man, I never got to really talk to you, but I do wish the best for you. And it's been a pleasure. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ellielza

Love you Blue, hope you get on sometimes so we can get up to mischief x
    Thank you for everything, both on and off the server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. therealjojo

I've met some amazing people on this server. Is it sad to say that the best years I ever had were on a computer game?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. PappaBanku

Thanks so much Blue!!. I have only just joined the server recently but it has been great.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. FatGiraffe

RIP Blue, never met him but well thanks!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. CarbonaraFreak

I have to say, even tho there were some frustrating times, it's been one of the best years in my life. Thanks for all, Blue, and good luck in the future!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. KytaFreesky

Thank you Blue, for saving my life... Perhaps I should explain. Since I joined the server in late 2015, I've almost considered taking my life a couple of times, but because of my great friendships and interesting happenstances with some of the people on this server, I didn't. If it wasn't for this server being one of my greatest sources of friends, I probably wouldn't be here today.
    I'm sort of sad to see you leave the ownership, but I have faith that Antony and RoboJackPlays will do a great job in your stead. I doubt you will, but if you ever need anything, please let me know. I'll be here, and on discord.
    Thanks again, and I wish you success in all of your future endeavors.
    -Kyta

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Maninahouse

Great job blue, you were the greatest owner! Good luck in the future.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. ProbablyEd_

Retired Staff

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. ProbablySid_

Retired Staff

This could finally be the change we need. Hopefully great things will happen.

Good luck for the future, Blue!

• Winner Winner x 2