Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Observers!

Discussion in 'Denied Suggestions' started by SpiderCraft53, Apr 21, 2018.

?

#BringObserversBack?

1. Yes!

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Nah...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider53

So there's been a lot of talk recently about the ban on observers, and the primary reasons they aren't allowed, and the general opinion seems to be that observers should be allowed. I would agree with that opinion, however I won't ignore the reasons that have been brought up for why banning them is a good choice.

Obviously, the main problem with allowing them is that they can be abused to create a lot of lag, either by just placing tons, or by placing only 2 and //stacking them everywhere to create huge machines of lag. The problem with that is that you could do the same thing with almost anything. I could just as easily build a simple redstone clock attached to a piston, and stack that everywhere as well, causing just as much, if not MORE lag than the observers would. The problem with banning a certain block, in this case observers, is that it really wont prevent any lag. People will always look for and find ways to lag a server, which is why banning people is a thing. Banning redstone altogether clearly isn't the sensible choice either because again, people would still find ways to cause lag, and removing redstone would just remove the fun from a huge chunk of what people do on the creative server.

Put simply, banning observers really doesn't prevent any lag, because people could make lag machines out of just about anything in the game. It's essentially just punishing everyone because of the extremely rare case where one person abuses something.

As I mentioned before, an overwhelming majority of people I've spoken with about this subject have agreed that observers should be allowed, and this majority isn't just there because people are uneducated about the lag-causing issues with them, they're genuine opinions. Some reputable people who've publicly and openly agreed with me also include DarkNebula123 (Admin, Elite, Designer), AgleBob (Elite, Builder), and many others.

Thank you for considering the opinions of others :)

2. Darknebula123

Retired Staff

I think that they should add observers back, but only under a few circumstances.

E.g. Designer+, because most people won't be willing to build good plots just to break our rules in the end.

Hell, maybe even make "Redstone Ranks"
    If you're good enough, you can get observers.

Maybe a separate redstone plot would work too

3. Spider53

I think Designer+ would be a bit much. Perhaps if that were to be implemented, Novice+ might be more appropriate, like how it is with redstone already. I much prefer the idea of redstone ranks over that, however adding them would be a lot of work, work that I don't think the Owners/Managers would be willing to do on top of the other things they're already working on. I don't see the point in having a separate redstone plot though. What would that do that simply re-allowing observers wouldn't?

4. NotMyFault

NotMyFault The Sanctuary
    Retired Administrator

Observers are banned because they ca crash the server, even if you just have a few of them. We will need to wait until spigot foxes the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.