Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL: Opinions on a Creative Rank Revamp

Discussion in 'AJGaming News' started by BlueFusion12, Jul 7, 2016.

?

Do you like the idea of the new Creative rank system? (READ THE THREAD BEFORE VOTING!)

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

Hello everyone. Today I have a poll for you all to get your opinions on a new idea to revamp the Creative ranking system.

The new system would involve a competitive rating element following the initial Builder and Experienced ranks. Once you achieve Experienced, you qualify to submit any number of plots for review. Instead of being subjectively reviewed by a single staff member, each build would be rated by multiple staff members for a large quantity of elements from 1-10 (ex: Terraforming, Detail, Interior style(, etc.) as well as sorted into a style (Modern, medieval, organic, etc.). These parameters would then be fed into an algorithm and produce a score for the plot. After submitting a few plots, you would be assigned a "personal score" that reflects a quantitative analysis of your building skills.

Instead of having Architect and Artisan ranks, players above Experienced would receive a ranking (B, A, S, SS) depending on how their score stacks up against other players in the system. This adds a level of competition and continued enjoyment even after you achieve the highest ranks.

Most likely, the ranks would be structured something like this:
    B: Bottom 50% of the server
    A: 51%-75%
    S: 76%-...? (depends on where the top 5 ends)
    SS: Top 5 players

I have assembled a set of pros and cons from my own opinions and those of the staff team
    Pros:
    • Eliminates the massive skill gaps between Experienced and Architect and Architect and Artisan
    • Provides more replay value and things to do for people who achieve the higher ranks.
    • Provides a dynamic sense to the ranks and allows the ranks to automatically scale depending on the skill of the community.
    • Would be very unique and something not found on any other Creative server
    Cons:
    • Players have the potential to lose ranks (ex: A -> B) when other players surpass them
    • Competition of this variety could create additional tension between community members and could potentially foster cheating.
    • Architect and Artisan would be removed, potentially angering those who already achieved those ranks (however if the new system was adopted, these players would be immediately placed into the higher rank tiers)
    Some clarification:
    What if I submit a terrible plot when I'm first starting out? Would it forever ruin my rank?
    Nope! Any plot you submit could be submitted again for re-review a month following the first submission.
    What about earning more plots from each rank you get?
    Under the current system, Architect and Artisan both receive additional plots when you earn those ranks. Under the proposed system, there are a few ideas that could potentially resolve this. 1: Once you enter the competitive system you would be given a lump sum of 3-5 plots or 2: You get an additional plot for each time you earn a rank for the first time.

If you have any additional questions before you vote, please reply and I'll get back to you ASAP. Keep in mind this new idea is only under consideration, it is not the guaranteed future. If you have any suggestions to make this idea better, also be sure to reply!

• Like Like x 3
  2. The_Kadrek

Retired Administrator

whoever came up with this is a fucking genius

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FrogByChoice

Retired Staff

A bit complicated for me to understand but yeah sure why not

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. JadePowerCharm

Retired Staff

So would the rank almost look like this?
    (B) (Experienced) JadePowerCharm: Hello

5. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

I'm not the best at explaining things simply. Basically you submit plots and they get reviewed. You get a score. You compete against others to have the highest score.

6. Ryerye1243

Ryerye1243 Guest

I dont understand...

7. _Brokencrystal_

My interpretation of it is as follows:
    Builder and Exp. ranks still exist.
    You submit about 3 plots following achievement of Exp. Each one is rated for different aspects, good and bad.
    A list of usernames and total scores for plots is compiled and Exp+ ranks are awarded depending on where people end up on the list.
    Then the gaining plots thing is either: As soon as you submit a plot after Exp. rank, you get another 4 or so, or you get one plot for the first time you achieve a rank, like before (think of it like missions in Pokemon Picross - the first time you complete a mission in a puzzle for using a certain Ability, you gain Picrites as a reward, but if you do the same puzzle and set the same Ability again you don't get anything).

Also, Blue - for the second plot idea, would more skilled builders be intended to submit bad plots to get B rank, then slightly better ones for A before actually trying, so as to max the number of plots they have?

8. Qw_Gaming

Meh, I like building to express who I am not to compete. I feel like if we put this on our ranking system people will become more competitive. And will make more enemies. I just feel that it will pile on more things on mega. It would also make this server for confusing. Please reply if you have a comment or disagree with anything I typed:).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

nice job habibi

10. zLynn

Problem: What if a person joins, and gets rank A and then never comes on again? They should be thrown out of the list, right???

Also, I feel really bad for the person who will have a 1% rating xD

Btw, how are you going to display their rank of the forum? Will it just be a banner with "SS"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  11. ElmoIsEmo

Well i mean it seems complicated but i get the base of it all so sure why not? but it seems alot more nos then yes :p

12. Trist

I support the idea of limited spots for top ranks.

13. JackCosens

Owner Retired Administrator

I don't really like the idea of this new ranking system. Creative is designed for people to come on a build as they please not to be in a constant race just to keep their rank. If you added a competitive ranking system along with the one you currently have it might work but I personally think changing over to this system is a bad idea and will just drive players away instead of in.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. Maya_

Retired Staff

In my personal opinion, the server isn't fit for competition. It's more for fun.
    On top of that, people's confidence levels on their building skills could decrease dramatically, which I don't find is what "fun" should be.
    I get it could be exciting for people who are great at building (i.e Trist, or TheBigBrother), but for people may not find it fair and that could end up in a LOT of arguments.

That is just how I specifically view this system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dooff

Retired Staff

This idea is too inspire the better builders to try harder. It's not targetted at players who would rather just build for fun.

The system is already attempting to push players to be better builders. Very few people can achieve Artisan which is set to a standard designed to push even some of the better builders on the server to improve. The issue with the current system is that Artisans are not encouraged to continue playing on the server since they've already done everything they can do. Building skills are valuable for the development of the server so preferably we like to keep these people around.

More casual players could just play to the level they already do. The ranks are not essential. They don't offer an exceptional advantage, just a sort of "prestige" and some plots. The same thing these players would've gotten if they could've gotten Arch+.

As for what is fair, if you can submit a plot multiple times and eventually get it accepted by a different staff member, is that fair? I think the new system would be a fairer way of determining who deserves the higher ranks.

Even though this would likely not apply to me(I don't build much anymore), I would like to see this system implemented. It encourages good builders to join and stay on the server and an environment for people to improve. I think that would be a nice change.

• Like Like x 1
  16. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

@Maya_ and @dooff i really like your effort and perseverance to explain the con (@Maya_) and the pros (@dooff) but for once i gotta agree with @Maya_ Here. Like i said, there are people that aren't just as good as a lot of other builders. Like i said before, these ranks could be used to harass others and make fun of others lol. Some people don't even build, they just like to talk to other people. I really don't think that this idea should be put into mega. Just my opinion

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. iKawaii_

I'm horrible at building and I would feel embarrassed if It showed me having the lowest score so I'm not sure about it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. YaLadDedd

The first thing I don't like about it is that it forces people to be competitive unless good builders want to end up with crappy ranks that dont show how good they are. A different ranking system should be implemented for sure, but maybe it should just include more ranks so people with the highest ranks really are the best in the server.

I like the idea of a competition to be honest, but maybe not for the highest ranks, maybe a separate rank based off whether or not people want to actively take part in the competition like a number ranking system could be cool showing how good u are compared to the rest of the server. Actually i really like that idea, it works similar to the one you have done but really shows the best of the best and other good players aren't pushed in with players who barely make the cut. I don't mind showing the server who the bad builders are that should just encourage people to spend more time building and get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. dragonfood007

I agree this. I believe that the proposed rank up system would hinder people being creative. I find the creative server as a place to be creative with your builds and show them off to other people, rather than a place to compete to find who has the best builds. (Although that kinda happens by default)
    EDIT:
    I do however think that there should be some added competition to the creative server. However I don't feel like this would be the best solution for that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. trbz_

I don't like the idea of it being super competitive and stuff... I prefer the current system.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1