Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How About A Better Punishment System?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by NotGarth, Aug 26, 2016.

1. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

https://gyazo.com/b0884b98cfca2de7caf07814688afedb you're swinging back and forth on opinions

2. NatPlays_

LEL WOW LOL WOW LOL WOW LOL WOW

3. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

me: *Makes post about how bad the protocol is*
    Staff: "NO NO NO! YOU GUYS WANTED IT!"
    me: *Gets agrees and posts agreeing with my point*
    staff: R U BEING LIPPY WITH ME YOUNG MAN
    me: Ermm nope, just stating the fact that the rules need to be changed lol
    staff: TEMP BANNED AND PERM MUTED

Pretty much me and syd and dan.

Again,

SORRY NOT SORRY!

4. Zengakukatsu

People have been more harsh on you than others.

NoHacksJustSid said:
    ----Sometimes I feel like people are purposefully just testing us by breaking rules and trying to find little loopholes. It can be hard work and gets the better of some people as you can see the events that have happened recently. I don't want you guys to think this is me saying that you shouldn't complain, I'm just saying before you do, you need to step in our shoes and see what it's like for us. Also this isn't the place to talk about demotions.----

Being a staff member isn't hard at all. The worst part imo was dealing with the rest of you guys.
    Staff complained less when we actually had to do things XD

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  5. Zengakukatsu

Delete this one

6. Divine_Sophie

I know that this discussion has pretty much concluded at this point, but I felt like sharing my views on the matter since they help the staff team to decide on a more adequate punishment system :)

I feel the issue here is that there is no clear structure, and what you can and cannot get away with in the chat is completely illogical, not to mention unclear (i.e. Some have claimed that censoring half a word is allowed, whereas others argue otherwise).

First of all, you are not allowed to swear, however what you can do is replace half the letters of a particular swear word with asterisks. This makes absolutely no sense, because you only need to show a single letter for everybody in the chat to know exactly which word you are trying to say. If anything, censoring swear words just makes the chat unnecessarily messy, and is technically still a bypassing of the chat filter anyways.

The other problem in my opinion, is the way that punishments are distributed. Surely players should be warned once or twice prior to being muted? I mean after all, many servers (Not most, but a fair amount) allow swearing in its entirety, and I heavily doubt that newcomers will appreciate being instantly muted for swearing without any warning at all. In my opinion, the only instance where swearing should result in an immediate mute is if it's used offensively (i.e. "**** I died" = Not offensive, whereas "**** you, I died" = offensive, because it's used insultingly and derogatorily).

Basically, what I propose is two things:
    -Consider "censored" swear words to be a bypassing of the chat filter, and be categorized as swearing
    -Warn players that swear rather than instantly punishing them, however reduce the number of warnings that a player receives. Reform the punishments entirely so that there are actual consequences associated with the rule's violation, such as:
    First offence = warning
    Second offence = 2 hour mute
    Third offence = 1 day mute
    Fourth offence = 3 day mute
    Fifth offence = 1 week mute
    Sixth offence+ = 2 week mute
    This structure makes far more sense than the punishments escalating from a few hours to a permanent mute, as well as muting a player instantly despite them possibly being unaware of the rules.

I speak from experience when I say that moderating a server can be one of the most stressful things you can experience on a Minecraft server. There's a lot of pressure to constantly perform your duties absolutely flawlessly, else you risk having an entire community turn against you in the blink of an eye. It really isn't as simple as 'Occasionally look at chat, mute bad people, stand tall with pretty prefix'.

tl;dr; reform the entire punishment system, have the entire staff team as well as members of the community decide on an adequate mute protocol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Zengakukatsu

I'm saying comparatively. When I got it we had to settle pvp disputes, land disputes, stealing, and protecting regions. Being staff nowadays all you have to do is suck up to everybody and mute spammers. Also I'm speaking from over 3 years of experience as a Mod on this server.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

True, but yet those particular people don't do their job right, whenever I say something it automatically means i need to be perm muted. When someone else says it "oh okay I warned u 20 times but I won't warn u again"

9. lifekiller43

Retired Staff

Actually it really isn't that much, I was a moderator on one of the biggest PVP servers on minecraft (kohi) and you don't know what kind of people there are in kohi, it's like a fraction of what's over here. No swear filters and much more freedom, guess what? It's easier for us and them, it's working out completely fine, I was mod for almost a year. Although I don't personally know the owner, I still talk to him from time to time, trust me, also the fact that we had factions arena 1v1 PVP Kitpvp and much more. Also the fact that kohi was triple the size of this server (probably more than that) but to me it's not that stressful, unless you had to work with more than 1000 different people, I don't think it should've been stressful to u

10. DoctorUbermensch

Erm, you see crafters and gentlemen, I'm kinda on the same side as Garth, 'cept that I need to point out that a two hour mute for ONE curse isn't really that productive or punishing; it's just downright unreasonable. I understand if some chap spams a string of cusses over and over, but for ONE word from ONE guy?

I also suggest that the punishments are tighter for guests who don't fully know the server rules yet and the trolls who just hop on for the f**king sake of it.