Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My rant about Mojang's EULA and it's treatment of developers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mc2squared, Feb 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MC2Squared

Alright, here it goes.

When the first news of the EULA was released, I was worried for my old server (which I no-longer own) and the communities I was (and some I'm still in) involved with. Mojang later released some news clearing up what was stated and nobody cared after that. We, as a community accepted it.
    Sure, some servers have been put to rest due to the EULA, but it's not a big disruption and most did abuse ranks (some as high as $1000+).

I'm sitting here today to discuss why the EULA is still extremely messed up and causing many developers (who truthfully are content creators) to lose major creative control over their projects.

It's widely known that you can't sell game-changing perks for your server. That's just how it is and Mojang's pretty relax about it. Servers still do it and most are still around. The major issue with this is how it becomes an obstacle for developers like Blue and myself (to some extent). Mojang has already received payment for our accounts and I think everyone on this server can say they're fine with a 1-time payment of $25 for your account. I get that we shouldn't sell/crack accounts, and that's fully something I'm against for moral and legal reasons. But why is Mojang treating developers who make their own content for a platform that they payed to have access to as if we're hacking and stealing property of someone else? EULA agreements are typically very generic; Don't sell accounts, don't do anything stupid. Simple. Mojang's puts major control over what plugin developers can and can't do.

Several large plugin developers for servers are full time and get paid on commission or get a salary. These developers aren't able to make a living easy when Mojang, the company that created the platform which these developers are making content for (which leads to more account sales) is screwing over the pillars (developers) of many large aspects of the community.

I understand Mojang let's us still sell cosmetic items and that's atleast something. I don't care about that, I care about how Mojang is restricting the content we can make and in some cases, make a living off of it.

this is a morally wrong thing for a very community-oriented company to do to it's customers and fans. I'm generally sad that they did this, but nothing's going to change overnight.

If you find this important, please use Twitter (or other social media) to share this with Mojang (I premade a tweet for you lazy people):

Mod Edit: Don't do this
    "@tomassommar @engstofficial I have concerns about the EULA: http://bit.ly/1RnvNF0"

That will directly send this page to:
    Owen Hill
    Director of Creative Communications for Mojang
    and
    Mathias Andersson
    Intellectual Property (EULA-Involved content, too) Enforcement for Mojang

If you do happen to be reading this Owen and Mathias: This is a injustice to your community and as someone who plays minecraft daily (with roughly 2500+ hours of playtime), this makes me upset to say the least. It is a sneaky way to hide controlling what is made. All I ask is this matter is thought about.

Thank you for your time.

2. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

You do realize it's been in effect for over a year and a half and nothing has happened. Business is as it was.

This is unnecessary. The EULA gives Mojang the ability to go after people if they do terrible things. It's more of a legal step than their actual view on the situation.

In locking this thread because all the discussion on this topic that was necessary happened in 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.