Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Profanity Predicament [Solution]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Trist, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Trist

Dear Blue,

Profanity has really sparked an outrage on the server, and if it weren't for the voting plugin being added the player count might have taken a hit because of it. The community is really torn in half as far as opinions go, and players are suggesting all of these complex solutions like toggleable filters and age verifications (I don't know)... Well I've figured out a working solution that is both relatively effortless and effective.

The solution: Two channels for chatting.

The default channel is a no swear zone, all rules apply, kid and family friendly. This chat being default promotes server growth to family gamers.

The lax channel is a very casual channel, and any player wanting to throw in some profanity to their gameplay would need to manually type a command to join this chat.

If you wanted to go the extra mile for this constructive compromise Blue, you could add a warning message that tells the player that there may be [NSFW] communication in this channel and would require a /confirm command by the user to then enter.

Seeing as this is both a server and respectively a business model, I find this solution to be most favorable and beneficial to the mid-range to older teenagers and adults such as myself on the server.

Sincerely,

Trist

Edit: There really is a lot of misconception about this idea in the comment section, and I'm going to hit every concern that's been posted.

1. There is not an age limit to the chat, because anybody could lie. It's there for the convenience of players that want to engage in a form of communication often associated with older people, while keeping the family friendly part of the community (most of it) happy.

2. Segregation of the community does exist, and I mean it already exists. As a 19 year old I don't interact or chat with 99% of the young population on the server because we are so vastly different. The chat won't further segregate when this segregation has invisibly existed all along. It will just be very convenient for the small portion of the community that does use profanity.

A part of being mature is recognizing when one is wrong and I was wrong by saying this profanity rule should not exists, but only if an alternative for swearers simultaneously exists.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. dooff

Retired Staff

The idea of channels has been brought up before. I believe Blue said he was against them due to them segregating the community but who knows, maybe he'll change his mind.

I feel like a toggle-able filter is still probably a better solution but it might be harder to implement; chat channels are a fairly common idea and lots of plugins exist for them. +1 for giving a legitimate suggestion.

3. SomebodyButMe

Retired Staff

A more simpler solution is by following the rules set by the server

4. YaBoiFrooty

Somebody, this is why the server can't come to negotiations, comments like that.

The idea that Trist came up with is good for both sides, I was one against this rule, but at this point, it's just become a nuisance. IF we get these channels, that would not only fix a swearing issue, but somewhat fix a spamming issue for some. Separate channels seems like the correct thing to do

5. hbl

hbl

I heavily agree with Trist.

If you need any signatures for this, count me in!

6. YaBoiFrooty

7. SomebodyButMe

Retired Staff

The main issue is figuring out who, as trist said a older teen or adult. 95% or more are under the age of 18, and if it is adult discussion channel, as suggested and those under 18 enter into it Mega could get into trouble/sued over it. And if you think some 12 year old kid wouldn't lie to enter the adult channel you are kidding yourself.

8. YaBoiFrooty

Find me the stats where it says 95% of mega is under 18

9. SomebodyButMe

Retired Staff

Look through the staff apps and see how many are over 18

10. YaBoiFrooty

Yes, i'm going to look through thousands of staff apps that none the less, could be 3 years old by now.

11. dooff

Retired Staff

That's a non-issue. People should accept the consequences of entering a mature chat. Basically, the reason to have some sort of censorship is so that those who wish to not read cursing in chat don't have to. It's not to protect under 18s. In that way, people who join a mature chat should be allowed to, regardless of age, as long as they're warned of the consequences.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. Ryerye1243

Ryerye1243 Guest

Am i the one thats actually grown up and hates all this fuss on the forums?
    In life you always cant swear
    infront of your 4 year old kids are you gonna yell F*CK?
    Its really immature all this stuff on the forums ,-,
    its just a rule
    life has rules
    gotta follow them
    its just the way it is :/

13. dooff

Retired Staff

You should try to understand the issue. This thread is about resolving the "fuss", not creating it. Please contribute something productive to the conversation rather than call those that do so "immature".

Since you seem quite unaquainted with what the actual issue is, I'll explain. The F word is a perfectly fair word to censor. As are a few other words. But it becomes almost comical when the word "d*mn" is censored but not crap. Furthermore, the server has many mature players who enjoy having a bit more freedom and a carefree environment. That's one of the reasons I love Teamspeak. A lot of the staff actually swear on Teamspeak and have to reprimand people for it on the server. There is a good argument for rules to be different on TS but I feel that, when it reaches this extent, it segregates TS users from the server.

Last of all, stop saying "it's just a rule". This is the suggestions forum. You're allowed to suggest changes to the rules. Of course I shouldn't just suggest any rule should change but surely you should understand by now that there are very good reasons why this one should be changed. A large portion of the server disagree with it and, while some of those people may be toxic, many of those are reasonable people who want the best for the community.

• Winner Winner x 2