Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The disadvantages of a No-Swearing Rule.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MindstormVPloo, Mar 27, 2016.

1. underscore_2

Recently the no swearing rule was added, and I disagree with having it on the server. My opinions are based on experiences I've had before with servers adding this rule.

Having a no-swearing rule changes the audience of people that play on the server, specifically the audience's age and maturity. I'll state my opinions as if we assume that younger people are less mature than 14+ year olds or so, while this is not always true it's true most of the time.
    With a no swearing rule, younger people would be attracted to the server because they would want to be in a safe community. After a good amount of younger people come on, more and more will come on because they would probably prefer to be with a community of a similar age. With every wave of younger people coming on, there's a big chance there'll be immature kids in the group that would break rules and ruin the views people have on our community. A server with swearing allowed normally changes the audience from younger kids to people over the age of 14 or so, it sounds strange that having swearing allowed would make the target audience a more mature group, but that's how it is usually and seems to be like that with mega. I've had experiences of this happening before, a server I used to play on had a very mature audience but it added a no swearing rule, within about a year (it was a smaller server so it took a longer time for the audience to change) the community was filled with immature 11- year olds that liked to break rules for fun. The state of the server rapidly went downhill, the younger people were the only people on the server and then some got staff and abused their powers and ran the server badly. The issue was that the owner didn't seem to notice this, and the server needed staff badly because the others had resigned.

To conclude, I think the no-swearing rule would change the community for the worse and would drive away our more mature players and even staff from the server.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. _4tfy

I agree but the little doods deserve a server where they can play on without being shouted at by their parents because of the foul language on the server. I guess if most people would want to remove the no swearing rule the server has to take action and add some kind of profanity on/off so that its fair for everyone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Senpai_Artic

Retired Staff

I do agree but disagree at the same time. Swearing is a big thing on the server depends on the audience of the server. However for mega we want the audience to be everyone and we want people to feel welcomed to this community like they don't have to worry about anything. Swearing is not a serious thing but like you said swearing does impact on the audience of the server.

Another thing is that swearing is okay but I feel like it is over used too much. Sometimes it can cause arguments or just bad things in general, not saying that I don't like swearing. :p Overall I see that a lot of people do not like this rule and we will discuss about it very soon and decide what to change to make this fair so mega can be a safe community for everyone but can still apply the rule. If we cannot somehow apply the rule then we will have to take a different approach. I will mention this to staff and talk about it to them, explaining why people does not like the idea of the new rule.

I want to thank you for sharing your opinion as we are trying new things to make this community grow and to make it improve for everyone. Thank you.

~Senpai

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. _Brokencrystal_

Before, I think the rule was something along the lines of "No swearing directed at other players" and there was another somewhat unspoken rule that swearing excessively wasn't allowed, so it's not like people were actually allowed to swear all the time or at others. I agree with Mindstorm.

5. LASC

I agree with the 'No swearing towards others' and the 'No excessively swearing' But I think this overall 'NO SWEARING' rule is total bs :/ People really need to grow up and realise that it is just a word and many people just use it to get their point across.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

As a big proponent of this rule, I have some comments.

Firstly, we've tried the "No swearing directed towards others" and the "no excessive swearing" rules before. The problem with those is that they are qualitative and are up to the discretion of whomever is moderating chat. This caused confusion on what was deemed "okay" and what wasn't. Also it was unclear when a staff member needed to step in. With a sweeping ban on offensive language, that problem goes away completely.

Secondly, I would actually argue that "no swearing" attracts an older, more mature audience as well. Anyone who is mature age (think 18+), definitely doesn't want to stay on a server where tons of kids swearing like crazy, clogging chat, and being rude to other players. By enforcing this rule, we ensure that chat comes off as cleaner and more sophisticated to new players, especially those in an older audience.

Finally, a no-swear rule helps further my belief in what MegaCraft should be: a place to meet new friends and have fun together as a community. This aspect of MegaCraft has been lost more recently, and is something I desperately want to bring back. By being more strict on the offensive language people can use in chat, we are thus promoting a more friendly environment for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FrogByChoice

Retired Staff

well yeah this is kinda true but i think this will make mega a bit frustrating its annoying when you try to say something and in your sentence you accidently swear (we are all humans here) and half of the server is like don't swear!!!,i think people should still be able to swear in sentences that show opinions like yeah people can abuse this rule but the staff team isn't dumb most of us know how to make good decisions,like there's a difference between
    i fucking love this server
    to
    fuck all of you
    in my opinion this rule will do more harm than good it will cause so many unnecessary arguments in chat

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1