Menu

play.AJGaming.net Click to Copy

Players Online

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Selling Limit

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BiduBR, Aug 23, 2016.

?

Do you believe this new system should be implemented?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. BiduBR

Retired Staff

Before anything, please only vote on the poll after you read this thread.

As most skyblock players have already heard BlueFusion is planning on adding a limit to how many items you can sell on skyblock. If you do not know what I am talking about i'll explain.

What will happen is that there is going to be a limit of 10,000 unique items per day that you can sell (10,000 items equals approximately 3 double chests) meaning that you would be able to sell 10,000 of each item every day. What will also change is that the selling price of items will be increased. So using the current system cacti sells for 200$ every stack when the new system gets implemented every stack of cacti will be able to be sold for 400$ but with the 10,000 item limit. There will also be some sort of recycling system that you will be able to dispose items for some sort of ingame reward.

The big controversy behind this new system is that players have already spent immense amounts of time in multiple farms ,causing a tremendous loss of time/money and this might also likely lead to lag issues because there is a very high probability that the farms will become overfilled meaning that thousands of items will be left in the ground until the clear lag hits. I am not mentioning the recycling system because so far little is known about it.

I believe I speak for many in saying that I do not support this system. As mentioned we already spent hundreds of hours building farms,grinders etc. The issue is that there is no going back on the effort we have put in these money making beasts and although Blue says that only a small amount of players make over 10,000 of the same item a day I find it very hard to believe because I have seen what people have built before and i highly doubt that only a few people can produce up to that amount.

Another issue that I have is that everyone is going to make a similar amount of money... If the new system does get added all the skyblock players will rush for farm variety and although that's great that people are not focusing all their resources in one item/farm eventually everyone will have a farm for basically everything. Resulting on the same amount of money being produced daily so there will be no catching up in the /baltop unless someone finds some sort of loophole or a glitch.

Blue has mentioned he wants to make the server easier for new players. Therefore is going to "double" the sell prices in the shop, but i do not believe the server is not new player friendly... You can make money quite easily as a new player through many ways such as a little farm of yours, a profit shop etc. As an example I believe i got my first million in the 3rd or 4th day of the servers existence. Also when the limit gets added the popularity of profit shops will drastically rise due to people not being able to sell all they have, that will result in new players making even more money and honestly a new player will be able to make a similar amount of money from someone that has a farm even tho they put no effort in building a farm and are simply using someone's profit shop.

I have to agree if money was valued more it would be great, but Blue this is minecraft it is not real life.. You insist on using real life examples of an economy to combat our arguments, I do not believe there is any server or at least very successful server that uses a real life economy or something along those lines. If you take a peek to any successful server with a shop/economy they will have the same thing as us (ofc variable pricings).

I just hope you listen to this thread and all I have told you before how I do not believe that this system will cause help and hopefully listen to what the community says on this thread. Also i did not mention the backlash/anger you might cause to the more hardcore skyblock players and I know your goal isn't to make skyblock players pisset but i am just saying that will very likely happen and it won't be any good for the server because if they do quit who will want to play on a server with a small amount of players on.

,Thanks no means to offend/attack you

@BlueFusion12

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Tormentous

Haha using "real life economy" examples to justify a change in MC economy. All I'm saying is some people play MC to forget about the BS of the real world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Samiiii

Retired Staff

Next you're telling me we have a max block limit.

fr tho please dont make a limit. We make the farms for money whenevr we want..not for a limit of how much shtoof we can sell

4. Golurk_

Bidu is right, people spend literally tens of hours building very large farms, but with this, what would be the point?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BlueFusion12

Retired Administrator

I'll break this down so everyone can easily understand the reason when a change like this is necessary for ensuring SkyBlock stays fun and playable for years to come.

The Skyblock economy has a problem right now. Unlike a normally functioning economy, there are no naturally created bounds.
    Here is a nice example:
    John is a wheat farmer. Every year he harvests 10 fields of wheat and sells them to a large food supplier. The going market price for wheat is 25 "dollars" per bushel. If each field produces 1000 bushels, he can make $250,000 in yearly revenue.
    Yearly, our fictional world consumes 50 million (50,000,000) bushels of wheat. Since John is a relatively small producer (only producing 0.02% of the global demand), he doesn't have much impact on the larger market. That makes sense because if John stopped producing, it would be relatively easy for other producers to make up for the 10,000 bushels he supplied.

Things change with big producers though. Take for example a fictional company "Farm Corp." Farm Corp suppliers 25,000,000 bushels of wheat per year, making up 50% of the global demand. But the owner of Farm Corp is greedy. He wants to make more money from his wheat, so he starts producing twice as much wheat. Logically, you would assume he would make twice as much money, right? Wrong. There is now a surplus of 25 million bushels of wheat in the market. Everyone in our fictional world only wanted 50 million bushels at the price of $25 a bushel. Now though, in order to convince the members of our world to buy more wheat, we have to lower the price. That means wheat is of "less value" to people, since there is a lot of extra wheat available. Thus, the price drops to $10 a bushel. In response to this, the wheat market can either choose to 1. accept the new market price, or 2. decrease production to realign with the old equilibrium (50 mil bushels at $25/bushel). Farm Corp, seeking the largest profit, will revert back to producing 25 million bushels because (50 mil * $10 = $500 million in profit while 25 mil * $25 = $625 million in profit). See how the economy naturally balances itself?

In Skyblock however, our economy is static. There is a magic "/shop" that will buy however much you can feed it. No matter how much any individual overproduces, the sell price remains the same. This allows large producers (like you Bidu), to exploit the willingness of the shop to buy your surplus at a far higher price than what would naturally be set as the equilibrium.

This causes a massive imbalance in wealth distribution. New players are discouraged by the massive time investment that is even necessary to partake in the various auctions that go on during the normal day on Skyblock. It also significantly overvalues spending excess amounts of time "afk" on the server without doing anything. Right now the perfect business model is to spend a ton of time making a farm once, leave you computer on all day, sell stuff, and repeat. See how this can get boring?

So how do we solve it?
    There are two ideas I came up with in order to address this problem.
    1. Use an exponentially decreasing sell price that adapts to the amount you sell. For example, after selling 5k items, the sell price for you would half. After another 5k, it would half again. This would continue indefinitely until the daily server restart, which would start the cycle again.
    2. Place a daily cap on the amount of items of certain types the "/shop" will accept. Once you hit that limit, a player would need to find alternative ways to produce revenue (most of them would involve actively playing on the server and interacting with the community).

#1 would be more like a functioning economy, however as it was the more complex of the two, I chose not to use it. I'd rather the new system be easy to understand and implement.

This leaves us with the daily cap. Before I continue with the justification on why it is necessary, let me explain it so you can hear it directly from me.
    Certain farmable items (ex: Cactus, Melon, Pumpkin, etc.) would have individual caps on how much someone can sell during a single day. The proposed amount is between 10k-20k depending on the item. This daily cap is per player and per item, meaning you could theoretically sell 10k cactus, 10k melon and 10k pumpkin all in the same day. The sell caps would reset automatically when the server reboots daily (around 4:15 AM EST).
    The big plus of this change would be that sell prices for items could increase dramatically. During the early days of Skyblock we had to decrease the sell price of many of the farmable items because of large producers making too much money too quickly. This harmed the majority of the server who can't produce even close to 10k of each farmable item daily. With this change, we could return to using those prices without fear that overproducers could continue to damage the value of the currency.

Some various reasons why this change is necessary and beneficial:
    It increases legitimate activity: We want everyone on Skyblock to be active in the community and playing the game, not just sitting around all day to make a profit. Yes, I understand that AFKing a large part of the Skyblock game, however we don't believe it should be the only part.
    It makes the end game more challenging: Those who have designed massive farms like those Bidu is referring to understand that Skyblock becomes far more easy once the farms are complete. Many of the top players have even reset their islands to squeeze more gameplay time out of the server. We want to increase the replay value and organic playtime the server has, so making the end game more challenging is a big plus. Furthermore, this allows "hardcore" players to further distinguish themselves from the rest. Large producers will easily hit the sell cap, but it will be those who can find creative and fun ways to make money post-cap that will be the best of the best.
    It ensures the currency remains valuable (reduces inflation): In the current system, $5 million is far less valuable than we wanted it to be. Those at the top have made their point that there isn't really much to do with all those riches once you acquire them. We are planning on adding various end-game features that cost a large sum of money (for example, the level colors), but in order to do so we need to make sure the currency is not in rapid inflation. Placing a natural cap on item selling ensures increased farm sizes do not continue to produce obscene amounts of revenue with little effort (that is, after the farm is initially created).
    It protects the server in the long run: We all want Skyblock to be fun and enjoyable for months to come. In order to ensure that, we need to do everything in our power to 1. Make sure we appeal to new players and 2. Ensure the economy remains healthy and balanced. The current system is slowly degrading our ability to do both of those things. This change will help keep the server on track and allow me to focus more on adding new features and less on cleaning up various economy-related issues.

Bidu also mentions an item-recycling system. When the shop item cap is set in place, we will also release a way to recycle excess items that cannot be sold to the shop. I do not plan on releasing any detailed information right now (as much of it is still in planning), however it will basically be a way to convert useless items into an alternative currency that can be used to purchase various cosmetic features for your island and perhaps a few gameplay upgrades.

Finally, I need to address one more issue so that my argument is valid. Yeah, Minecraft isn't real life. The great thing about economic theory though is that it applies to video games just as it does to real life. Ever played World of Warcraft? Economists have used it for over a decade as a model to run economic experiments on because it functions just like a natural economy. Ever heard of Eve? It's economy is so real and engaging people spends years of their life and thousands of real-life dollars on the game. In the end, the Skyblock economy will never be a pure model of real life economics, but since humans are involved, it will experience many of the same characteristics.

I hope this puts and end to the misinformation that has spread about this topic and I hope it explains clearly why these changes are necessary to ensure Skyblock is fun for everyone. If you have any further questions or comments feel free to ask!

- Blue

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Nuzy

Sell limit is total bs

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Golurk_

As much as I agree with Blue that money is rising way too fast, I honestly feel that putting a limit to how much you can sell will only make players more angry, and play less.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. PigCloud

Even thought I hate bidu getting more money, I do not want this system in skyblock and I feel like i'd be one of those people that would start to play mega skyblock less because of this system.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tormentous

So long as you can sell renewable items into thin air, nothing is going to change, It's just going to slow the process, and piss a lot of players off in the process. Further issues addressed with something like this are, but aren't even remotely limited to:
    1: First and foremost, mass entity lag at clogged farms
    2: Making people just find loopholes (ex. Alts selling, etc)
    3: Deter future rising producers that made their farms too big for the cap.
    Blue, this isn't the right solution, and you throw a 2-paragraph lecture in our faces about real-world supply and demand after we blatantly tell you
    it's not practical, or logical to compare a game to which you sell things to vanish forever for ingame profit to an in-depth explanation about the real-world market. If a giant armless green man full of explosives comes up and tries to sell me an iron golem spawner I'll let you know.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Ryerye1243

Ryerye1243 Guest

This just gives people with an alt more money :/

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TakeMeToRussia

I think that a reset would be in order. Make it hard to get sand and dirt (limited amount in store every day) and then farms won't be as large. Then more efficient farms will be rewarded instead.

12. TakeMeToRussia

Here's someting I wrote a while back:

DISCLAIMER: This is very long but I really hope you read all of it, I spent a lot of time thinking of this. Also, sorry for shortening of words and grammar errors I am in a rush, hopefully I don't seem rude.

Capping store limits only limits growth of players, it will not help with the current state of everything being around afk farms. I would suggest this (might require custom plugins):

First off, remove sand from the store (keep glass). Just completely take it out. Same for dirt and anything else that can be farmed. Then make a dirt generator (I think a plugin exists for this already). What this does is limit the size of farms people can build. All farms rely on dirt and sand. Sand can be a rare drop from the dirt generator like coal ore but maybe a 7:3 ratio of dirt and sand. With these limitations, people cannot build farms that require something like 30k sand/ layer.

Next, I suggest kicking afk players who are doing nothing on an island. (more on this later)

The next thing required would be an autominer plugin of sorts. Auto miners would be expensive but allow players to afk at their cobble/dirt generators. Limit these to a max of 2 per island with an additional 2 per player (if thats possible). These will be the main way to get sand. Be careful of which autominer plugin you choose, the miner MUST require a tool inside of it so that players cannot afk too long (9 diamond pick/shovel will be the longest). Ok now set the price of these auto miners to a high but achievable price, something like $250k for the first one and $1.25m for the fourth one (+250k each time). This is to smoothen progression.

Next thing is a chunk loader plugin. The chunk loaders pricing should also scale with how many a user has bought. Maybe starting at 50k for the first one (each loads maybe 4 chunks). Then 250k then 750k then 1.25m etc. These will also have a cap at a certain amount depending on server specs (I dont know them). What this does, combined with the chunk loaders, is stop players from afking for resources too much, since miners must be refilled and farms cannot be made too big.

Now, I understand stopping afk will hit the servers statistics/numbers HARD. There will be much less players online! Well, make an afk pool where people can afk, and introduce a system to have a mini drop party every 30m/1h. These afk players can also reap the rewards of the DP and will keep these players online (even more in fact because many casuals dont have auto farms).

For the economy, it would require an increase in prices to maybe 2.5x the current prices or more (I know you had something like this in mind). This is to match the harder to make farms and also mob grinders (I'm coming to this.)

I'm finally almost done! The final part is to make all spawners except certain donator ones craftable (iron golem, magma cube, slime come to mind for non craftable ones). Similar to sky/nether essence, they will be crafted like this: 9 rotten flesh makes 1 zombie fragment and 9 zombie shards make one zombie shard and 9 zombie shards make one zombie crystal. One zombie crystal + 4 diamonds makes an essence, combined with 8 sky essence (for tier 3 mob spawners, you decide) or 8 nether essence (for tier 2, tier 1 being donator items) makes a zombie spawner.

Once again, limit the amount of tier 3 & 2 spawners on each island (tier 1 has no limits). Also, when a spawner is broken by a non MVP player the spawner will drop the nether/sky essence (but not all!). This helps with having to regrind spawners as you will maybe get back 5-6 essence (and lose 2 and the crystal).

What this does is also limit how big mob grinders can be but MORE importantly: makes people enjoy the true skyblock original mobfarm (9x9 cube in the sky). They will need to grind these mob drops SOMEHOW right!?

Lastly: donations. This is what keeps the server going and I have not forgotten it!

Autominers, chunk loaders and spawner can all be bought within the donator shop, along with upgrades to the total limit of these on an island.

Sincerely, Nic (Spellbomber)

If you need anything please contact me on Skype @ nicolasyodude

I put my heart into this and I believe it is a much better course than the one you are about to embark, however a reset will most likely be in order.

13. BiduBR

Retired Staff

Very short reply I have to this, I briefly talked to Blue about this and he said it was way to technical and honestly I have to agree with him on this one. It would likely take a lot of time and effort to make all of this happen aka megacraft just doesn't have the resources to do that right now.

14. Golurk_

Honestly, I'd just suggest a reset and some reworked shop changes. As skyblock is relatively new, although it would upset some people, it wouldn't be nearly as bad as resetting a server that has been up for ages, which means no one would get overly upset. (Most, atleast.) Honestly, I'm with you blue. I hate this economy, money is going too fast. But limiting selling isn't what you need. I suggest a skyblock restart, with reworked shop prices and such. I'll get into more depth in the following paragraph/s.

Shop Reworks
    I personally feel like dirt and sand prices should be LARGEly increased, if not gone from the shop. If gone from the shop, they could be rewarded (much) more in /challenges, and could prevent super op farms for a long bit of time, while keeping standard farms still a thing. Also, treating farming supplies just like the dirt/sand. Raising their prices very highly, and selling for less.

Spawners
    Spawner prices need to go. If you want better economy, you need to highly raise the prices of spawners. This will prevent large early mob grinders (although they aren't really worth grinding money wise compared to farms, as they are more of XP farms) But stuff like Iron Golem spawners honestly shouldn't be able to be bought, as they are very overpowered and were probably one of the major downfalls in the economy.

AFKing
    I personally never had a problem with AFKing farms, with anyone doing it, in which I feel like it shouldn't be stopped. The downfall of the prices you can sell farmable goods for will make up for that.

Add-On
    If any people reading this have any more to add on to this, feel free to.

kthxbye

15. zLynn

Another way you could possibly solve this problem is if you had an alternate goal as opposed to money. Money is a great goal on servers because its infinite, and the more you have, the more power you get. What if you had a different goal for people, which was also indefinite? I don't have any ideas in mind, but it may solve this selling limit problem, by giving people an alternate thing to work for, and not complain as much about the selling limit.

16. kailanchauhan

As a player who enjoys the survival game mode of minecraft, I play skyblock as something fun to do. Who needs a balance of 50m? I believe the most expensive thing in the shop is 250,000 or 2,500,000(I cannot remember), and that is for a novelty item.
    I cannot say that I make much money on skyblock, since Jeqqee gave me a starter of 100k, but if you see mine and YaLasDedd's island, there is a variety of farming going on. Personally I like the cocoa bean farm as players have to work for the money - they can't just wait for it to work automatically unless they use one designed for AFK
    I don't mind a player who puts a weight on their mouse/keyboard so they can mine cobblestone or farm crops that need to be replanted, but being AFK just so the cactus farm works is not what skyblock is about
    Also, I do not see the need to produce 10,000 of an item a day. At a guess, I would say o produce 2500 cacti per day
    I invite you to my island warp to see what I am talking about.

17. Ryerye1243

Ryerye1243 Guest

No reset I've worked to hard and put to much money on keys
    If there's s reset I won't be going on sky block that's just stupid. I put money into keys! I don't want a stupid reset

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. BiduBR

Retired Staff

RyeRye is right a reset couldn't really be done because as much as i would not mind it personally it would pisset off some people and also people spent money on in-game items.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TakeMeToRussia

they can get all purchases refunded. (only from store purchases) idk about ranks from vouchers but yeah.

The economy has to be changed and then everyone should restart from scratch

20. Ryerye1243

Ryerye1243 Guest

no

i worked too hard on my island and so did others

i dont want a reset it is so stupid. get off that topic